Understanding your needs
Contact me through this website or by phone and if I think I can help I will arrange a mutually convenient time for an online call (or telephone if you prefer) or visit to discuss your needs in depth and to help us both understand what value I will be able to deliver for you.
If the scope of your requirements is broad or undefined, I may propose a mini-project of one or more detailed discovery sessions to help you understand what you need and to develop a clear idea of what the scope and details of your project are, with a proportionate level of documentation to enable you to proceed to the next stage. This would be fixed price and without any obligation to select me to deliver your solution (indeed, I may feel that we are not able to deliver what you need).
If I think I can give you a return on your investment through a standard or bespoke solution, I will prepare a proposal that details the options available to meet your needs, the price for each option, and my availability.
Note, I am giving you a price for the different options for your solution; that is a fixed price, not an estimate, and not a day rate you will pay for the time I spend on delivering your solution.
My proposals will be time limited, but I will contact you before the expiry to ensure you don't miss out.
- If you are not interested, no problem, but please let me know and ideally give me a bit of feedback.
- If you are interested, great, I'll book you in and we'll take it from there.
- explore the detail of what is needed within the scope of your agreed outcomes.
- agree any actions that you need to do to support us such as providing content, providing any images or logos, and providing any data structure specifications and sample data needed to design your solution.
- start building
- arrange regular show and tell sessions to check in and ensure you are happy with what I am producing for you.
- ask you to test and review work. When we are both happy that delivery is complete, then we'll agree handover steps with you
- give you appropriate guidance, training, and manuals, where applicable for using and maintaining your solution.
I want you to be satisfied with what I create for you. Not every bug or tweak needed will be identified during demos or testing. Some will only be identified through actual use. Assuming that key environment factors haven't changed I will fix issues that arise with your solution within a reasonable time frame. I will identify and agree this time frame with you when we discuss your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where are you based?
I'm based in the village of High Spen; a former mining village near Rowlands Gill in Tyne and Wear. High Spen is within the borough of Gateshead.
Will you come to my office?
Short answer: Yes, for meetings and workshops
Long answer: Yes, though it depends on the size and complexity of your project and the stage we are at. It also depends how far you are away; travelling a long distance takes time, costs money, and has an impact on the environment. Sometimes, a project will need face to face discussions and if the project is a good fit for my business then I will travel. I would normally expected a large proportion of our communication to take place using collaboration tools and video conferencing.
Will you work for us for x days a week for x months to fill a gap?
No. I will only work on either a project basis or a monthly/annual advisory/support retainer; it may be that the work you need doing could be a project followed by a monthly retainer or it may be that you need an employee or a contractor.
What if our requirements change?
Things change. That's life. My experience of being a client of different suppliers when requirements change has shown the kind of approach that leaves a bad taste in your mouth, and what makes you feel you're getting a good deal.
I take a pragmatic approach to requirement changes:
- If these changes are minor in scope and are still contribute to the original goals that we agreed, I will seek to accommodate them
- If these changes do not contribute to the original goals, I'll advise that these are looked at later as a separate project to ensure we maintain focus on your goals
- If these change are more significant in scope but still relate to the original goals I'll explore with you the options for accommodating them.
Do you offer discounts?
My fixed prices will take into account the value I can add to your organisation. I don't add a discount line but the price will ensure you still get a return on investment.
Timing of payments
I offer two options for payment of project based work:
- Payment in full before I start
- Payment of 50% before I start and the remaining 50% on a mutually agreeable date.
Support or advisory retainer
Monthly invoice at the start of the month with payment in 28 days.
I offer a range of payment methods to suit your needs, depending on whether the payments are for projects or regular support or advisory costs.
- Credit/Debit Card via stripe
- Direct Debit
Support or advisory payments
- Standing Order
- Direct Debit
Meetings at your site
I will happily visit your premises (or a public location) to discuss your requirements or where needed to deliver the service.
Visiting my office
I do not have the ability to accept client visits at my home office.
I will use hand sanitiser before entering and on leaving your premises.
I will wear a mask if it makes you feel more comfortable but I do not normally wear a mask now that the requirement has been lifted.